With the student accommodation sector booming, competition increasing and technology advancing, the new concept aims to give students in block accommodation a modern living space that meets their 21st century needs.
The newly established Student Living team will be led by associate Nick Riley, bringing with him a long-standing profile in the sector, having previously overseen the design and delivery of over 14,000 bedrooms across the UK.
As part of this launch, WCEC has developed a suite of new bedroom and living area concepts.
Riley explains: “When you look at traditional student accommodation blocks, they have not really changed for a number of decades, yet the students themselves have become more discerning in their taste, their lifestyle priorities have changed and their technological needs have advanced considerably. In a competitor led market the robust but bland product of first generation student accommodation is no longer good enough, we need to move in to a second generation, contemporary and aspirational design. These new concepts do just that.”
Features of the new concepts include:
- adoption of the latest student bathroom pod (by Walker Modular), with a separate shower cubical and high spec finishes, replacing the old ‘caravan style’ Glass Reinforced Plastic wet room idea
- full height windows with an innovative integrated natural ventilation system have replaced the gloomy punched windows in order to provide more natural light
- optimised storage provision which doesn’t over-dominate the space
- integrated power/data/lighting within the furniture package designed to cope with greater demand for technology and removing the need to penetrate walls
- feature energy efficient LED strip wall lighting which provides both up and down-lighting, replacing dated strip lighting
- sliding screen window shutter instead of light-leaking curtains to enhance sleep
- three-quarter sized bed to increase use of space, with allowance for them to be replaced with a longer bed to allow for a population that is getting taller
- contemporary colours and finishes which are more aligned to student aspirations and lifestyle.