Runners up were the University of Nottingham and Cardiff University.
StudyPortals’ International Student Satisfaction Awards are based on thousands of reviews and opinions from international students in Europe.
Among the British universities that received sufficient reviews from international students to be eligible for the 2014 Satisfaction Awards, a total of 15 universities received ratings ranging from ‘Very Good’ (at least 8 out of 10) to ‘Outstanding’ (at least 9.5 out of 10).
Universities which have shown top results based on reviews from international students who studied at their university, and were awarded ‘Outstanding’ are: Cardiff; Manchester Metropolitan; Edinburgh; Exeter; and Nottingham.
The universities rated ‘Excellent’ were: University College London; Aberdeen; East Anglia; Glasgow; Leeds; Portsmouth; Sheffield; and Warwick. Rated ‘Very Good’ were Birmingham and Hull.
The majority of students who have reviewed their experience are originally from Europe and studied in the United Kingdom for less than one year.
In demand internationally
Key points from the survey:
- International students recommend the UK because of the great social life
- They enjoy British cities, but not as much as international students in other European countries
- Students are very satisfied with their personal and professional development, especially with improvements to their English language skills
- They find Britain expensive but cheaper than other destinations in Europe
- They comment less on academics than other international students in Europe, suggesting that other aspects of the experience are more important
- Students complain often about university services, mostly about poor and expensive accommodation