Gillian Almond, director of commercial services for Royal Holloway, has been appointed CUBO chair.
She takes over the role from Stewart Ross, director of operations for University of Leeds.
Read more: CUBO Awards 2019: winners revealed
Jo Hardman, head of commercial services for Lancaster University, has been appointed chair-elect and will assume the role in August 2020.
Speaking at the CUBO summer conference in Swansea, Almond paid tribute to her predecessor.
Never has the role of commercial services been so vital in securing and maintaining forward revenue streams – Gillian Almond, CUBO chair
“We are enormously sad to see Stewart step down after an exciting period of positive change and momentum here at CUBO. I would like to take the opportunity on behalf of all our members to thank him for his commitment and dedication over the past few years. He has made an immense contribution to our industry.”
Almond said she was “delighted to be picking up the mantle at a time of potential uncertainty and challenge” within the sector.
“Never has the role of commercial services been so vital in securing and maintaining forward revenue streams and new partners, as we consider potential changes in student demographics that may result from Brexit, alongside expected changes in funding and possible shortfalls that could result from the Augar Review.”
Other members of the 2019/20 CUBO board include:
- Julie Barker: non-executive director, PR and media (former Chair of TUCO)
- Bryan Caroll: housing codes and standards (deputy director estates and facilities at Solent University)
- Jon Greenwood: commercial partnerships (director of commercial partnerships at University of York)
- Kirsty Woodward: conference chair (director of campus services at University of Leicester)
- Jane Donachy: membership (associate director for catering, retail and accommodation services at University of the Arts, London)
- Richard McGloin: finance and non-executive director of CUBO (former director of commercial services at Sheffield Hallam University)
- Richard Kington: international partnerships (director of accommodation, catering and events at University of Edinburgh)
- David McKown: training and professional development (head of training quality, accommodation and commercial services at University of Sheffield)
Got a news story for UB? Contact James Higgins on 0117 300 5526