Ivent director Gavin Newman explains why peer-to-peer communication is important for unis
At Ivent, we certainly believe in the power of peer-to-peer communication and many of our university clients agree for the following three reasons, which is evidenced in our platform data insights from the past seven years of working in this sector:
● Prospective students get a better, more honest experience of the uni
● Communication can be ongoing throughout the application to enrolment process
● Higher conversion rates for offer holders accepting and enrolling
Successful businesses have for years embraced the power of peer-to-peer communication as it creates a sense of cohesion, trust and allows the exchange of honest feedback and insight. It makes complete sense for universities to do the same by facilitating and embedding peer-to-peer communication with their student ambassadors and prospective applicants as part of their student recruitment activity.
Here are our top tips for getting the most from your student ambassador programme:
● Choose your ambassadors wisely. Have a good mix of students who had different experiences: some might have come through clearing, have a range of A level grades, live in different types of accommodation and come from different countries
● Give your ambassadors the same training you might give to your student recruitment team – ultimately, they are doing the same job, albeit slightly differently
● Make access to each other straightforward – it’s got to be instant and online, tools such as Uni-Connect simplify this
● Listen, analyse and respond to the conversations being had in the chats and tailor your content in the bigger virtual open day events so that you’re providing answers to the questions you know prospective students really want to ask
Fundamentally, giving potential new students access to an authentic voice within the university, someone just like them who had the same questions, concerns and sometimes fears, is possibly the most powerful tool in a university’s student recruitment toolkit.
Find out more about the Uni-Connect virtual communication platform visit www.ivent-uk.com or contact us for more information on 0844 567 8979