RHP completes refurbishment at QMUL
The whole project will have a combined value of £86m
RH Partnership Architects (RHP) has completed work on state of the art teaching and research facilities for the Schools of Engineering & Material Science (SEMS) and Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (EECS) at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL).
RHP were appointment by the University in September 2014 to carry out a review of the existing Engineering Building and to develop a strategy for the phased reconfiguration and improvement of facilities to meet current and future academic needs. The overall project will be delivered in a number of phases with a combined total value of approx £86m.
The faculty has been accommodated within the Engineering Building complex on Mile End Road since the 1950s and is laid out in two blocks each over five floors, linked by a three storey bridge over Bancroft Road. The original concrete encased steel framed buildings fronting Mile End Road were extended north in the 1960s. Piecemeal improvements and upgrading had been carried out over six decades and both the building envelope and infrastructure had reached the end of their serviceable life.
The first phase of the Engineering Building Transformation Project has focused within the western block and provides teaching and specialist research laboratories linked around a flexible teaching space. RHP have responded to the client’s brief by provided a welcoming, open & bright environment where both the layout and feel offer an inspirational functional and flexible environment for all users. The building fabric and services have been improved, supporting the University’s long term aspiration to achieve an overall reduction of 40% in carbon emissions.
RHP Director John Bailey describes RHP’s work on this project for QMUL as ‘a very rewarding project to work on, because of the unique challenges and constraints posed by the existing building envelope. Our redesign has simplified circulation around the original heavy engineering hall and has significantly improved the buildings energy performance. It is now a modern, airy and inspirational teaching and research space that will be used for generations to come. We are looking forward to continuing our work with QMUL on the subsequent Phases.’
Phase One has now been handed over and is fully operational, with work on Phase Two already underway on site.
Queen Mary College, began life in 1887 as the People’s Palace, a philanthropic centre to provide east Londoners with educational, cultural and social activities and was admitted to the University of London in 1915.